Best Practices for M6IT Online Backup
Modified on: Thu, 10 Jul, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your M6IT Cloud Backup:
Overhead space: M6IT Cloud Backup requires that you set some overhead space for the backup, because it uses a caching system which creates a local copy of the files in the backup, for incremental backups. M6IT Cloud Backup requires at least an additional 70-80% of the backup space for this purpose. For example, if you have a 10 GB backup, you will need around 8 GB of space for the cache. If you do not have enough space on your C drive, M6IT's offers the option to redirect the cache to another drive that has more space. Simply click the Advanced button, navigate to Options -> Folders, and change it in the option.
- M6IT Cloud Backup requires that the program be installed under an administrator account to function; make sure you are logged in as an administrator on the computer when it is installed.
- Make sure that your Windows Task Scheduler service is running and has no issues. M6IT Cloud Backup need this feature for starting as well as scheduling your backups.
- Often in Windows 7 or Vista, you may find that some of M6IT Cloud Backup’s advanced Windows integration features, like drag and drop and backing up network drives, cannot be used. This issue is most commonly caused by having UAC security settings enabled. If you choose to use these M6IT Cloud Backup features, you may need to disable UAC. To find the UAC settings in Vista or Windows 7 open the start menu, and in the search bar type ‘user account control’ and click on the result. Make sure the slider that appears is moved down to “Never notify" to disable UAC, then click on OK and reboot the computer.
- When setting up or configuring your backup, make sure that you do not select the Program Files or Windows folders since these are system folders and have executable application files that are not required for backups.
- If you plan on logging off the computer when a backup is scheduled to run, do not select files client from the network drive within the M6IT Cloud Backup program. Instead, select the files for backup using their UNC path, then right click on the file/folder and select “Protect with M6IT Cloud Backup”.
- Make sure Windows is up to date with all available updates.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.